Escola Americana de Campinas proudly hosted the first Jogando Junto Sports Camp on Sunday, 21 May. Nearly 80 students from Grupo Primavera attended the day-long camp that had kids (9-15 years old) rotating through 3 different clinics: basketball, volleyball, and soccer/team building. Each clinic began with basic instruction and fundamentals, then segued into drills and scrimmages. The chest-pounding head-bobbing Ponte Preta Macaco was also swinging around campus keeping the kids hyped up and moving (thank you, George and Gabriela Lanza!).
Unique to this program, the entire Camp was lead and managed by a select team of 11th grade International Baccalaureate (IB) students. Students were responsible for coordinating busing, food, merchandise, branding, promotion, donations, budget, and athletic clinics. Each clinic was designed, staffed and coached by EAC Upper School students.
The concept of the Camp was born from Nick Leeson, EAC Athletic Director, who continually challenges all EAC student-athletes to lead and work as a team on and off the court.
Jogando Junto is a partnership program between EAC and
AmSoc-Campinas that empowers EAC students to develop and implement large scale community outreach initiatives. Each participating IB student receives service credit for successful management of the Camp.
A GIANT Thank You for this year’s generous donors:
- 3M Institute - Lunch and Beverages
- The Lanza Family - Merchandise & Ponte Preta Mascot
- The Peeples Family - Merchandise & Snacks
- EAC Student Council - Logistics
- EAC Senior Class - Logistics
- EAC Athletic Department - Lunch and Beverages
- Special thanks to the exemplary EAC IB Team, EAC Student Volunteers, EAC Head of School Tom Pado, EAC CAS Coordinator Paul Strootman, EAC Athletic Director Nick Leeson, and Guest Speakers: Rodrigo Miranda & Arthur Braga